10:00 - 16:30
Eftersom Systematikföreningen är med och arrangerar den stora systematikkonferensen BioSyst.EU i Göteborg den 15-18 augusti, blir det inga vanliga Systematikdagar 2017. Istället blir det ett kortare evenemang i samband med föreningens årsmöte den 23 oktober:
Systematics – a future perspective
A joint meeting focusing on future research areas, career strategies, networks and cross-thinking
- When: October 23:rd 2017 at 10.00-16.30
- Location: Lilla föreläsningssalen at the Swedish Museum of Natural History in Stockholm (Frescativägen 40, T-bana Universitet)
Welcome to an inspiration day!
Besides performing the yearly meeting for Svenska Systematikföreningen we invite you to discuss the future and strategies for systematists. The idea is to focus on possible career steps and, in a positive sense, how Systematics can meet future needs.
This day is of course open for all members of Svenska Systematikföreningen in addition to scientists and researchers working within the fields of Systematics (or adjacent fields) as well as biology students, master students, PhD students and postdocs interested in these subjects. The meeting is arranged by the Swedish Taxonomy Initiative (STI) / Svenska artprojektet and Svenska Systematikföreningen in collaboration with the Swedish Museum of Natural History (NRM).
Preliminary content and sessions:
- Strategies for an academic career in Systematics and Taxonomy. Invited speakers tell their own stories, including active choices and coincidences, and the pros and cons on collaborations with other scientific fields (e.g. bioinformatics, conservation biology, big data, citizen science, ecology, biodiversity, climate research).
- Non-academic career – does it exist? Invited speaker/s on subjects like: Are systematics and taxonomy needed outside the universities and museums? How can our capabilities or competences be used and utilized in Swedish governmental conservation work? Can citizen associations and environmental protection agencies use systematists and taxonomists?
- Advice and strategies for research applications. Invited speaker/s on questions like: How is the reasoning and thoughts in an application board? What is a good application? Why are applications rejected?
- Future research areas – e.g. priorities within artprojektet/artprojekten. Invited speaker/s and panel discussion on the future for systematists, and how to modernize and take these scientific fields to the next era.
- Annual meeting – årsmöte Svenska Systematikföreningen. In Swedish.
Registration and more information
Registration fee 200 SEK. A modest lunch and fika are included. Please register below. Note: If you have an account on systematikforeningen.se: log in before filling out the registration form!
After registration, you will receive an e-mail with payment instructions. During registration, you can also pay the membership fee to Svenska Systematikföreningen for year 2017, year 2018 or both years.