You are cordially invited to Systematikdagarna 2016!
Systematikdagarna 2016 will take place at the Evolutionary Biology Centre in Uppsala 21–22 November. The conference is this year arranged by Uppsala University under the auspices of Svenska Systematikföreningen and sponsored by the Swedish Taxonomy Initiative (Svenska artprojektet).
This annual event is open for anyone interested in systematics; amateurs, working systematists, and users of systematics in any form.
The conference languages will be Swedish (mainly the more general topics) and English (mainly scientific topics).
Programme and conference poster
We are aiming at a diverse program covering recent developments in systematics, including, but not limited to, next-generation data and species delimitation, phylogenetic networks, utilizing citizen science, outreach and other morsels. In addition to the plenum presentations we will also have a choice from three parallel workshops with a little more hands-on activities.
See below for a draft version of the programme, but note that it is subject to change.
If you have the possibility, feel free to print the conference poster (50 MB) and post it at your institution and other suitable sites.
Conference venue and workshops are located at the Evolutionary Biology Centre of Uppsala University, situated west of the botanical garden with the main entrance at Norbyvägen 14 (https://goo.gl/maps/N16DCimM4FK2). It is a 20 minute walk from the train station, and there are several buses. From downtown Uppsala you have bus lines 6 and 7 from Stora Torget to EBC (stop: Evolutionsmuseet).
- At Norbyvägen 14, at the ground floor, you will find the registration, and Ekmansalen, which is the main venue where we will have all plenary sessions. Outside Ekmansalen we will have morning and afternoon coffee, and the posters will be displayed there as well.
- For the workshops, we have the venues lärosal 4, lärosal 5 and lärosal 6, which are located on the top floor in house 18, entrance at Norbyvägen 18C (https://goo.gl/maps/yPPXRs5Gy9C2, but you can walk indoors from Ekmansalen). Systematikföreningens meeting will be in lärosal 6.
- Right outside these venues you find the student lounge where Svenska artprojektet will host a meeting for those receiving support from them.
Lunch will be served at Feiroz (https://goo.gl/maps/QWpJ4T3JCpG2) at von Kramers allé 1, a short walk from the main venue.
Symposium dinner will be at Gotlands Nation (https://goo.gl/maps/H8umv3XTKKo), Östra Ågatan 13.
We will have some more hands-on activities during Systematikdagarna this year, in the form of three parallel workshops, where you will choose which one to participate in. For our planning, please indicate which one you are most likely to attend when you register; the choice is by no means your final.
We hope that as many as possible will be able to present a poster during the conference. All posters will also have a time slot to make a flash presentation in plenum (i.e., 60 seconds, no slides). Posters will be on display outside the main venue for the duration of the meeting, with a designated poster session/coffee break on Monday afternoon.
The cost for participation in this year’s Systematikdagarna is SEK 600 per person, which includes conference fee, “fika”, lunch and conference dinner in the evening of 21 November. For those who do not wish to participate in the dinner, the conference fee is SEK 300.
Please register here to participate in Systematikdagarna 2016, preferably before 31 October. After 31 October, the registration fee increases with SEK 200; you can continue to register, if there are still seats available, until 11 November. Did you forget to register before the deadline? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to check if you can join.
Abstracts and other information
You will have to arrange for accommodations on your own. As a starting point, here a are lists of:
- hotels in Uppsala (http://www.booking.com/city/se/uppsala-uppsala-lan.sv.html?aid=345124;label=city-uppsala-uppsala-lan)
- hostels in Uppsala (http://www.hostels.com/uppsala/sweden)
If you have any questions about Systematikdagarna, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com. If you have problems with the site, or the registration, please contact webmaster Anja.
We are looking forward to see you all in Uppsala!
Systematikdagarna 2016, Semi-final programme
Programme as pdf (more detailed than the version below) (version 2016-11-15)
21 November, Monday
- 09.00–10.15 Registration and coffee
- 10.15–10.25 Practicalities
- 10.30–12.15 Keynotes: Vart är systematiken på väg? Presentationer och diskussion (Swe)
- 12.15–13.30 Lunch at Feiroz
- 13.30–13.50 Julia Stigenberg: Aplysiinae (spretkäksteklar) (Eng)
- 13.50–14.10 Alexander Suh: The Neoaves problem – beyond the biological limits of phylogenetic resolution? (Eng)
- 14.10–14.30 Aina Svensson: Moving towards an open access future – changes in scholarly publishing (Eng)
- 14.30–14.45 Poster flash presentations (Eng/Swe)
- 14.45-15.30 Coffee break and poster display
- 15.30–17.00 Work shops, 3 parallel sessions [1. Phylogenetic networks (Eng), 2. Fotografering och bildbehandling (Swe / Eng on request). 3. Att nå ut (outreach) (Swe / Eng on request)]
- 17.00–17.30 Systematikföreningens årsmöte (Swe)
- 17.30– “Hang around the pond” – informal get-together in the greenhouse, Botanical garden
- 19.00– DINNER, Gotlands Nation
22 November, Tuesday
- 09.00–10.15 Coffee
- 10.15–10.45 Kjell Bolmgren introducing Citizen science (Eng)
- 10.45–11.05 Ellen Larsson: Citizen science, hur jobbar vi med det inom Sveriges Mykologiska Förening? (Swe)
- 11.05–11.25 Mattias Jakobsson: Inferring early human history (Eng)
- 11.25–11.35 Short break
- 11.35-11.55 Patrik Cangren: Next Generation Sequencing and Species Delimitation (Eng)
- 11.55-12.15 Stina Weststrand: The first large-scale historical biogeographical study of spikemosses reveals surprising patterns (Eng)
- 12.15-12.20 Best-poster award
- 12.20–13.50 Lunch at Feiroz
- 13.50-14.10 Nyheter från Artdatabanken (Swe)
- 14.10-14.30 Irene Bisang: Three incarnations of SYNTHESYS – achievements and future (Eng)
- 14.30-14.50 Hege Vårdal: Swedish sawflies: Adding pieces to the jigsawfly puzzle (Eng)
- 14.50–15.20 Coffee break
- 15.20-15.40 Veera Tuovinen: Basidiomycete yeasts as hidden partners in ascomycete lichens (Eng)
- 15.40-16.00 Closing Systematikdagarna 2016 and invitation to Göteborg 2017