10:00 - 16:30
Eftersom Systematikföreningen var med och arrangerade den stora systematikkonferensen BioSyst.EU i Göteborg den 15-18 augusti, blir det inga vanliga Systematikdagar 2017. Istället blir det ett kortare evenemang i samband med föreningens årsmöte den 23 oktober:
Systematics – a future perspective
A joint meeting focusing on future research areas, career strategies, networks and cross-thinking
- When: October 23:rd 2017 at 10.00-16.30
- Location: Lilla föreläsningssalen at the Swedish Museum of Natural History in Stockholm (Frescativägen 40, T-bana Universitet)
Welcome to an inspiration day!
Besides performing the yearly meeting for Svenska Systematikföreningen we invite you to discuss the future and strategies for systematists. The idea is to focus on possible career steps and, in a positive sense, how Systematics can meet future needs.
This day is of course open for all members of Svenska Systematikföreningen in addition to scientists and researchers working within the fields of Systematics (or adjacent fields) as well as biology students, master students, PhD students and postdocs interested in these subjects. The meeting is arranged by the Swedish Taxonomy Initiative (STI) / Svenska artprojektet and Svenska Systematikföreningen in collaboration with the Swedish Museum of Natural History (NRM).
9-10: Arrival, fika
10: Welcome and introduction
10.05-11: Strategies for an academic career/Survival in academia for systematists
- Mats Wedin (NRM), Per Alström (SLU), Christine Bacon (GU) and open discussion. Moderator: Mats Wedin
- Invited speakers tell their own stories, including active choices and coincidences, and the pros and cons on collaborations with other scientific fields (e.g. bioinformatics, conservation biology, big data, citizen science, ecology, biodiversity, climate research).
11-12 (ca): Svenska systematikföreningen – årsmöte (Swedish Systematics Association – annual general meeting; in Swedish)
12-13 Lunch served in “Fossilen”, the museum restaurant
13-14: Advice and strategies for research applications
- Christer Erséus (GU), Fredrik Ronquist (NRM), Irene Bisang (NRM) and open discussion. Moderator: Mats Wedin
- How is the reasoning and thoughts in an application board? What is a good application? Why are applications rejected?
14.25-15.10: Non-academic career – does it exist for systematists?
- Dave Karlsson (Station Linné), Åsa Krüger (Botaniska trädgården Göteborg), non-confirmed speaker. Moderator: Malin Strand
- Are systematists needed outside the universities and museums?
15.15-16: Systematic research in the future?
- Ulf Gärdenfors (SLU): Swedish Taxonomy Initiative – future visions for aims, grants, research priorities, applications
- Speakers from sessions and open discussion: What future meet todays students? In what context will systematists work in the future? What skills will be most worth tomorrow? Can we identify the major possibilities for systematists of tomorrow? Moderator: Malin Strand
Registration and more information
Registration fee 200 SEK. A modest lunch and fika are included. Please register below, no later than 17 October. Note: If you have an account on systematikforeningen.se: log in before filling out the registration form!
After registration, you will receive an e-mail with payment instructions. During registration, you can also pay the membership fee to Svenska Systematikföreningen for year 2017, year 2018 or both years.
Bokningen är stängd för detta event.