What to consider when naming and describing taxa
An in-person course directly following the Swedish Conference “Systematikdagarna” in late November 2023
A full three day course (Wed, 29 Nov – Fri, 1 Dec) following Systematikdagarna (Mon, 27 Nov – Tue, 28 Nov) at Lund University, Sweden
Time and place: Nov. 29, 2023 9:00 AM–Dec. 1, 2023 4:30 PM, Lund University, Sweden
The course will present an overview of the different nomenclature codes with special focus on the botanical-mycological-phycological (ICNafp), zoological (ICZN) and prokaryotes (ICNP) codes. Sessions will include lectures and exercises, and the participants will learn what is required for a name and a description as well as for the scientific work itself to be code-compliant.
Learning outcomes. Participants will acquire an understanding of:
– which are the existing nomenclature codes.
– the difference between nomenclature and taxonomy.
– what is a ”scientific name” and what is meant by authorship.
– what is a ”scientific work”.
– rules of nomenclature with special focus on proposing new scientific names.
– the differences between botanical and zoological nomenclature.
– implications of names and their practical use in biology/management/conservation including examples of issues with misidentifications, misspellings, changed combinations, synonymy, ethics, etc.
Target group: MSc students, PhD students, postdocs, researchers, consultants, government officials, museum staff with relevant background in biology.
Course language: English.
Course schedule: Not yet available.
Course fee: Free.
Registration: Please register here. Registration deadline is 15th September.
Teachers: Thomas Pape (Natural History Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen), Allison Perrigo (Lund University Botanical Garden), Micah Dunthorn (Natural History Museum, Oslo), Ana Tronholm (University of Gothenburg), more to be announced.
Assignment and credits: The course is equivalent to 2 ECTS (three day in-person course and additional individual written assignments). ForBio will provide certificates for those who attend the in-person section and successfully complete the course assignments.